Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

FOTD: Native American Dancer Inspired Makeup



Hey Loves, 

Happy Hump Day! I hope you all are enjoying your day! One thing that I haven't shared with you all is that I am Native American. I come from the Squamish Nation tribe in North Vancouver, Canada. I've grown up living on the reservation ever since I was a born. It wasn't until 2009 when I finally moved off the rez and to Las Vegas. If you don't know much about Native Americans, we are very spiritual beings and are extremely into our culture and beliefs. It is definitely hard for me to be away from my culture back home and my family. It saddens me that my children won't grow up around the same things that I did. However, we go to the pow wow every year that is down here in Vegas. So that helps to bring a little culture back into my life. As soon as I hear those drums it takes over my soul. :)


Me on the left, Chantel on the right

As a preteen, I participated in our tribe's pow wows as a fancy shawl dancer and entered the princess pageants. I won two years in a row as Squamish Nation Princess. The first year I placed first and the second year after that I won the crown. So I am an actual Native American Princess, lol. Not just for the fact that I won the princess pageants but both of my great grandfathers were chiefs. 



Courtesy of Google images.
I came up with posting about this look because while I was dancing we would add dots or lines to the corner of our eyes or dots above the brow. Many dancers do this and it adds to the look of the regalia (outfit). A Native American dancer's makeup usually consists of earthy tones like browns and beiges. I've also noticed that a lot of women don't even wear makeup as their dancing. Personally, I love it and I love when they match their outfits. 


Courtesy of Google images.

I wanted to recreate this look from my past because I thought it would be fun and I wanted to add a bit more oomph to it. I was about 11-12 years old so I didn't wear a lot of makeup at the time. I wish I had some of my regalia pieces to wear for my pictures but unfortunately, they are back home at my parents house. The colors that I used are different shades of purple. My regalia was purple and white so I wanted to tie that into my makeup. It also had shiny sequins on it so I used sparkles on my eyes. So I hope you enjoyed my story and my look. Let me know what you think :)


FOTD (Face of the Day):







Products used:

(Face)

- MAC Oil Control Lotion 
- L'Oreal Magic BB Cream in Medium
- MAC Studio Moisture Tint in Medium Dark
- L'Oreal Magic Lumi in Light
- MAC Pro LongWear Concealer in NW25
- MAC Bronzing Powder in Matte Bronze
- MAC Mineralize Blush in Gentle

(Eyes)

- MAC Paint Pot in Bare Study as base
- MAC Eyeshadow in Beautiful Iris all over lid
- MAC Eyeshadow in Shroom below the brow
- Mark Eyeshadow in Saucy in crease, outer v, bottom lash line
- Urban Decay eyeshadow in Creep in outer corner
- Urban Decay eyeshadow in Gravity as transition color
- NYX Liquid Crystal Liner in Crystal Pewter on inner lid and inner bottom lash line
- Sephora Long Lasting Eye liner in Black
- Sephora Smoky Kohl Eyeliner in black on top waterline
-NYX pencil liner in Pure White on bottom waterline
- MAC Prep & Prime Lash 
MAC Studio Fix Bold Black Lash Mascara
- Ardell Lashes - Wispies 
- MAC Brow pencil in Spiked
- MAC Brow Set in Clear 

(Lips)

- Belle Pierre Clear shiny lipgloss 



6 comments:

Rebecca Perks said...

Your eyes are gorgeous! Becca x

http://rebeccape93.blogspot.co.uk/

Rosie Means said...

Thank you Rebecca ;)

Sandra said...

very purty look,
and you're definitely glowing & gorgeous!

ps. the main eyeshadow, which is sparkly, is it Beautiful Iris?

xo
Sandy

Rosie Means said...

Hi Sandy,

Thanks love! I actually used NYX Crystal Eyeliner in Crystal Pewter over the eyeshadow to give it that sparkle :)

Rosie xo

Carly said...

I really liked reading your story! I took a Native American literature course in college and it was really interesting! I love your FOTD makeup too btw. Can't wait to read more of your blog :) xo Carly

Rosie Means said...

Thank you Carly! I am glad you enjoyed it! :) Thanks for following me <3 xo :)